A Travellerspoint blog



Day 1

sunny 27 °C

Time goes very slowly, and as I came from Doha which is 7 hours ahead of Baltimore, I guess I suffer a bit of jetlag, thus this is past my bed time, and I am fully awake at 6 am in the morning...

But the day did not start till around 10am with a trip to go an organic supermarket to buy healthy food stuff... My host likes to eat healthy and I guess it must be hip to eat organic food in the US.

I'd say this is pampering... I might get sick of unhealthy and dusty food in Doha, once I get back to Qatar...

Hank bought tickets to see the No. 1 American Ball Game - Base ball; and it's an American thing to watch the game which was part of the US attraction. I guess this is how you will feel and being part of the American way of life.

We went to watch Major League between Baltimore Orioles and the New York Yankees.

The game finished at about 11.15 pm and we walked to the promenade, where we end up seeing the homeless. It was strange to me that Hank could not distinguished between the New Yorker supporter who come to town and the local homeless people, while I did that right the first time I saw them.

Posted by NPearson 23:54 Archived in USA Tagged lodging Comments (0)

With Qatar Airways to DC

Not Impressed

sunny 45 °C
View 2007 - USA on NPearson's travel map.

I left the office in a hurry to catch a morning flight to Washington, and then a 14 hour journey before arriving at International Airport Dulles (IAD). After a one and a half hour delay in Qatar and 14 hours flying across the Mediterranean, European Continent and the Atlantic Ocean we finally arrived in the US.

Before entering US, we need to go through customs, and the system takes a very long time to get through, as they check for everything.... I have traveled to many places, and this is the only place that is so complicated and it doesn't go smoothly. It was pretty smooth in London last year; Washington International Airport was no way near London Heathrow on efficiency.

Going through custom took almost 2 hours, so the luggage should have been there waiting for me, but there's no sign of my suitcase as all black suitcases look the same.It took me another hour to find my suitcase. I was panicking and thinking that all my travel equipment i.e. camera and lenses might be lost and how could I replace them especially for this trip.

Anyway, I managed to get out of the airport, which to me was not impressive at all. It's a bit dated compared to other airports in Asia as well as Europe.

Hank was there waiting for me and we managed to take a little tour of Georgetown, a suburb of Washington and have supper in an Italian Restaurant: Paper Moon. Too bad I didn't bring my camera

Posted by NPearson 05:07 Archived in USA Tagged air_travel Comments (0)

(Entries 1 - 2 of 2) Page [1]